Our experiences growing up certainly have an impact and shape who we are as adults. However, we all have the capacity to change. Through a process of understanding, learning, healing and growth, psychotherapy can lead to a profound sense of well-being and meaning in our lives, and help us discover who we are, and how we want to live our life.
But delving into the past is not the only route to living more satisfyingly in the present. For some people this forms an essential part of the therapy, but for others, staying with the here and now, working with how we are in the present, exploring new ways of dealing with the struggles we are facing today, is the key to change.
Rational Emotive Behavioural Therapy (REBT) and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) are based on the idea that our thoughts about an event, rather than the actual event itself, cause us ‘emotional disturbance’ rather than external events such as people, situations and events.
In other words, it’s not the event that causes our unhealthy emotions — it’s how we interpret and perceive that event. The benefit of this insight is that you can change the way you think so that you feel and act better, even if the situation hasn’t changed…
I am a Health and Behavioural Psychologist with degrees in Nutrition (BSc/MSc), Health and Behavioural Psychology (MPsych/PsyD) and Mental Health (PhD).
I have over 20 years of experience working with clients to improve their mental and physical health. My focus is on behavioural change, and I use a variety of evidence-based therapies, including Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (REBT) and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT).
I specialise in the prevention and treatment of stress, anxiety, and personality disorders. I have successfully helped clients with a wide range of issues, including:
- Performance anxiety
- Social anxiety
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
- Panic disorder Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Borderline personality disorder (BPD)
If you are struggling with any of these issues, please reach out to me for a consultation. I would be happy to discuss your individual needs and develop a treatment plan that is tailored to you.
- BSc/MSc Clinical Nutrition
- MPsych/PsyD Health & Behavioural Psychology
- PhD Mental Health
- Certificate in Counselling and Ethics
- Diploma in Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (REBT) and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Advanced Diploma in Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (REBT) and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Advanced Diploma in REBT Integrative Therapies including:
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Compassion Focussed Therapy (CFT)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Paradoxical Approaches
- Schema Therapy
- Solution Focussed Therapy (SFT)
I adhere to the standards of conduct, performance and ethics set out by the British Association for Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP). I am a member of the National Counselling & Psychotherapy Society [NCS17-04868]. I’m an affiliate member of the British Psychological Society and keep up-to-date with current studies and research. I have regular supervision and have full professional indemnity insurance. I also hold an Enhanced CRB Disclosure Certificate.